Crime is getting worse.
Much of this increase in crime is the result of policies like Proposition 47 that reduced penalties for crime. The result is a rash of retail theft, sideshows, looting, and rising violent crime.
I won't stand by while our businesses and families are threatened by crime.
Since the Legislature is either unwilling or able to take action, I am proud to join with the Deputy District Attorney's in supporting the "Homelessness, Drug Addiction, and Theft Reduction Act."
This measure will :
• Expand Drug and Mental Health Treatment to tackle the root cause of homelessness.
• Enhance Penalties for Armed Drug Possession to get violent dealers off the street.
• Increase penalties for trafficking hard drugs and allowing judges to sentence drug dealers to state prison.
• Make drug dealers subject to murder charges if their activities lead to death.
• Mandate treatment for repeat drug offenders.
• Restore criminal penalties for repeat offenders and smash-and-grab gangs.